By: Tom Nappi
On Friday Night (October 6th), the Medfield Warriors (4-1) took down Holliston (3-2) 28-12. The Warriors got their 1st win versus Holliston since 2008.
Senior Running back, Mason Giunta took control of the first Medfield drive breaking through for a 57 yard run and capping off the 1 minute 37 second drive with a 3 yard touchdown up the middle. The extra point made it 7-0 with 8:20 left. Giunta found the endzone once again later in the quarter from 22 yards out and the score would remain 13-0 after an unsuccessful conversion attempt.
The Panthers struck for a score of their own in the 1st half, with 0:34 seconds left in the 2nd quarter, Ryan Benco connected with Dylan Ibbitson for a 6 yard touchdown. The conversion attempt was unsuccessful leaving the score 13-6 Medfield leading at the half.
The 3rd quarter was all defense as both teams were held scoreless. The Panthers would find the endzone first in the 2nd half. The Panthers continued an extended drive from the 3rd quarter and capped it off with a 6 yard touchdown pass from Senior QB Ryan Benco to Senior WR, Mikey Nash. Holliston tried to take the lead with a 2 point conversion attempt but failed leaving the score 13-12 in favor of Medfield with 10 minutes left.
The Warriors responded less than 4 minutes later, JR Running Back, Joseph Vachon found the endzone from 20 yards out and a successful 2 point conversion put Medfield up 21-12 with 6:23 left.
Later in the 4th quarter, Medfield took advantage of a Ryan Benco interception deep in Holliston territory. Ben Adams came up with the 3rd Medfield interception of the game and Mason Giunta found the endzone from 2 yards out after a long reception by QB Mitch Gonser. The extra point was good and Medfield took the 28-12 victory over Holliston.
Medfield-Holliston Fun Facts
– Medfield QB, Mitchell Gonser went 3 for 13 for 88 yards (55 yards in 2nd half) and rushed 12 times for 73 yards (40 yards in 2nd half). RB, Mason Giunta rushed 14 times for 121 yards and 2 touchdowns.
– The Warriors defense came up with 6 turnovers, 3 interceptions and 3 fumble recoveries.
– Holliston leads rivalry versus Medfield with 44 Wins, 19 Losses and 2 Ties.
– Holliston Head Coach Todd Kiley is in his 15th season as Panthers Head Coach and holds 127-39 record.
– Medfield and Holliston played each other 1st time in 1924. Holliston won 2 games in 1924 and 1925 versus Medfield.
– Only 2 teams have played Holliston as much or more than Medfields 65 times. Medway (72) and Hopkinton (65).